Friday, January 25, 2008

Vorri Un Cono da 2 euro.

Every week for an hour I have what is called Italian lab. It is a required class where we are supposed to practice our Italian and learn about Italian culture.  There are only 4 kids in the class and my professor is the cutest little Italian fashionista.  In class today we learned how to order gelato and the names of the different flavors.  This class session was highly imperative to my success in learning the Italian language and was truly educational. How will I become Italian if I don't even know the most important words like how to order gelato? In order to get the full experience of ordering gelato, we obviously had to go out in the real world and practice, hence we went to a secret gelatoria that only Italians go to.  For those less experienced, there are two types of gelatorias, one for the tourists and one for the Italians.  You will have to come to visit me in Florence and I can show you the secret "real" gelatorias. As a test we all had to order gelato in Italian or else we could not get any. I obviously aced it...and I will have no problem taking on this test in weeks to come.  Apparently every week we go on a different field trip or watch Italian films.  I love this city. On a more serious note, my future husband, the beloved Heath Ledger passed away today and much grief was felt in the Via Dei Ginori this evening.  Like the shot heard around the world, a bomb hit our apartment and the Gorilla and I were truly devastated.  In order to give Heath a true moment of silence, it was necessary to escape our apartment because we knew that Heath would not appreciate a mourning service with the worlds most annoying people.  The Gorilla and I escaped to mourn for our loved one. We went to the Arno with a bottle of wine, a jar of peanut butter (it cost 5 euros for a small jar...that is 8 dollars American, but for Heath Ledger's memorial service we were willing to do anything) We sat there and ate the entire jar of peanut butter and reflected upon his finest moments. After, we decided we should go to our favorite hang out spot since we were so close. The Gorilla finally got new converse high-top tennis shoes, white euro style and they ended up being a little too cumbersome for her Gorilla feet. Aka I did a little black boot kick back, like a bikes kick stand, I kicked back and the Gorilla flew back aka a straight up face plant, it wasn't anything short of a face plant.  I am proud to say that I am the first person to make a mark on her brand new kicks, needless to say that the next day the Gorilla made a mark of her own and dropped a huge tomato on them...BUT I WAS THE FIRST! We then went to our favorite spot only to find that tonights entertainment was a poetry slam.  Granted it would have been wonderful if a. we understood Italian or b. if it were in English. Again the cultural barrier wall went up and we were out of luck.  A little wino-ed out we went home and went to bed. RIP Heath Ledger. 

No comments: