Monday, March 17, 2008

Buda + Pest.

I was going to go to book arts for an hour this morning but the sun was shining, I needed to head to the airport around 11 and the Gorilla gave me the good idea of getting dried fruit before leaving, so skipping class was a much better idea. Today was my first time actually flying out of the Florence airport since I have been here. Simple as pie. I had ants in my pants the entire flight and I can say with all Allison Isenberg honesty, I did not fall asleep, not even a simple rest my eyes moment, on the way to Budapest. Honestly how could I, lady was coughing on me the entire way. I wasn't sure what to think of Budapest, I had heard it was everyones favorite place to visit, but I just couldn't picture Hungary being one of the most beautiful places to visit. But once I arrived in the city of Pest I could understand. The feeling of getting out of a cab in front of an actual hotel with spinning circle doors and marble floors made me feel like the Queen of Florence. I didn't know how to get a hold of my parents because I tried calling Papa I's cell phone number when I got off the plane but he didn't answer. I was able to get a hold of Amy I. through the phone at the receptionists desk and I made my way up to her room. In her delusional state of sleeping mind, she gave me the wrong room number and I tried a few wrong doors before I decided I should just go back down stairs to actually have them look it up. Amy I. was shnuggled up in the big down comforter in the elegant traditionally designed room with elaborate floral print wall paper. Amy I. was overly exhausted from her long day of travel and she could barely form words together to make coherent and complete sentences. I, on the other hand was hungry in Hungary. I was going to venture out to find food by myself because I had no idea where the rest of my family was. However, standing in the lobby as I was coming out of the elevator was Momma I. and Papa Isenberg standing with our family friend Chris. I decided to play a little trick on them, and I walked right up to them without saying anything and proceeded to join in on their conversation. It took Momma I. a second to actually realize that her long lost daughter was standing right in front her. When she finally did, she almost jumped out of her shoes and her smile hit her ears. While Skype was a genius invention and I will admit I do see my Momma's pretty face a lot, there is nothing like giving a big hug to your mom and pops in real life. Although they were just coming back from eating lunch with Chris, they were more than willing to join me for another round of lunch. I had the best chicken quesadilla with quac and grilled chicken and veggies. Momma I. didn't think it would be possible for me to eat a quesadilla the size of the moon but I had no problem downing that bad boy. We walked around just to see some of the city in the day light because we aren't going to see very much of it because we are going to meet Mr. Christian Ezri, the Romanian Jewy Mc. Jews, family and motherland. Momma I. forced Little Adam I. and Amy I. out of bed in order to help them from being their tired bodies get on a regular schedule. We walked around the old city of pest at night and ate at a very traditional Hungarian restaurant. It was so nice and wonderful to finally be with my family that I couldn't stop smiling. Just to clarify a few things. The reason we all met in Budapest was to a. see a glimpse of Hungary b. in order to meet and see our friend Chris Ezri who actually lives in Romania which is four hours from Budapest, but it was easier to fly into Hungary. For those of you wondering who this Mr. Chris Ezri guy is and why my family knows someone in Romania...here is the deal. For the past two summers, Chris, the Romanian Jew, age 23, tall, thick, with glasses and a heavy accent has been living in Amy I'. bed room to learn about how to run a Jewish community. This probably seems odd for a 23 year old but Chris is a well respected youth leader in his town and has been trying to learn from different Jewish communities in the States how to better operate his own, including programing, fundraising and what not. A little over my head but it is pretty incredible. Chris worships my dad, and if he could, Chris would probably build a shrine of my Dad in his house. He actually wants to be my Dad. Chris considers us his second family and calls Little Adam I. his brother. Amy I. and I are little removed from this whole family relationship but I have met Chris a couple of times and Amy I. has only talked to him on Skype before. Thus. Papa I. decided that we Isenberg's were going to meet his second sons family while we were all here in his neck of the woods. I am excited to see what Romania is like, I can't even imagine it. The itinerary for the Isenberg European Extravaganza goes as follows: Budapest to Romania, Romania to Florence, Florence to Rome. The family is back together, which puts me back together!

No comments: