Saturday, May 3, 2008

No Thank You David and The Life Of A Plus Sized Model.

The Gorilla and I skipped out on Art history today because we were going to have to pay to see the Academia and by that i mean pay to see the Davids small pee and we were not going to do that. So instead we woke up early and I went to the Art school to finish work and pay 10 euros to have 5 pieces of paper faxed to LA... lame! I find myself looking in my wallet thinking where has all my money gone and this is one of those side investments you make and then forget about when you have less than a euro at the end of the week. Stupid fax. The Gorilla and I met at Bar Ginori for coffee before class. A little sip of latte to freshen up our mornings on this glorious day. We tried to convince our Italian teacher to let us go on a field trip for our last day of real italian class but she decided that reviewing for the final was much more important. Luckily she told us exactly what was going to be on the final so I am not too worried. And as a bonus, we were let out of class 30 minutes early. A nice relaxing lunch at Anna's for a change of pace. Kelsey has become a new member of the Anna's afternoon. I was a good friend and stayed true to my words and bought the Gorilla a sandwich today because last night I told her that I would pay for her Anna's if she wrote on 12 of my prints in cursive and indeed she did them and indeed I payed for her sandwich . I really try to make promises that I can keep! I felt more painting juices today than I have felt all semester. I was a painting master today and the time went by so fast. After an entire semester I finally feel like I truly got the hang of it all. Who knows, my work could be in the Uffizi one day, clear the walls Leonardo and Michaelanglo, Allison the Great is painting your way. I didn't even want to leave painting at 4. Today was my last lab class. While I hated lab most of the time, it was sad to think that it was my last class. We immediately drilled it into our teachers head that we wanted gelato because a. it was our last class. b. we didn't want to review for the final because we spent the day doing that c. it was just gorgeous outside today. The minute we asked her she responded, you don' want to study for the exam and simultaneously everyone in the class room responded NO and off we went. The teacher told the woman at the front desk that the reason we were leaving was because we didn't want to study and instead we wanted gelato (she spoke this in italian, and I could actually understand it..it was pretty funny) Just as much as it was sad that it was my last lab, it was sad that I hadn't made my way to the other side of the river to the Gelato place we went to because for just a euro, yeah you heard me, one euro, I got to have two home made, delicious and fluffy flavors (menta and caffe) in a cone. The entire class, the entire class being 5 of us, sat on the edge of the Ponte Vecchio discussing random thoughts and expressed how much we were dreading slash getting excited for the fashion show tomorrow night. I learned two very interesting things today. 1. I forgot to mention this earlier but i learned that my italian teacher has a vineyard and she sells her grapes to make a wine. Her wine is Clement the 7th and is sold everywhere in Italy. Who knew? She also has an olive oil farm and only sells it to select costumers. Not to mention she also has a "spare" house she also owns that used to be for the farmers that helped on the farm (but with modern technology, they aren't needed) so she rents out different parts of the house for the summer to tourists. We were all sad about leaving and told her that we would come back and work for her. The Gorilla offered her hands to be the dishwasher (I must admit, gorilla hands are good for washing dishes, nice and big) I offered her back massages and another girl offered to cook. She said that there is a guest house in the back of her actual house and it is now used as storage but in a couple of months they will have it fixed up and we can all work for her. Hey another reason to come back here. 2. the second interesting thing I learned today is that in Italy when you get engaged, it doesn't mean that you have a set date for a wedding rather, it means that you are just promising to be with each other. My Italian lab teacher has been engaged for three years. Its weird here. There is something I have noticed. Everyone in Italy (I noticed this with my teacher and I noticed this our tour guide in Rome) they also seem to tell you never to get married and they all sound depressed about it. Weird i tell you. Well the good news is a. at the rate I am going, Italy was meant for me b. I am only 20 years old..aint no thang. So yeah two interesting things. After Italian lab the Gorilla, Kelsey and I went on a vintage store quest and we hunted down all of the vintage stores in Florence only to find out that the most expensive and trendy items were sweatshirts that read "yale" and american t-shirts were considered high end vintage. We unanimously decided that the Salvation Army back in the States would do much better for our bank accounts and that spending 20 euro on a shirt that is a. already worn and b. already worn and straight up from America (well actually it was probably first made in China, but thats a different story)...was just not worth it. Kelsey introduced me to the worlds best sandwich and panini shop on the other side of the river (she lives on that side) and we sat outside of Santa Spirito to enjoy our life changing dinners. Toasted pita, turkey, pesto, mozzarella, tomato, zucchini, = delightful. We rushed back home to prepare for the first and final dress rehearsal for the fashion show. I am not sure if i have mentioned this one in the blog yet but tomorrow night I will become a model. Yes indeed, I, Allison Isenberg will transform into a 1960's model sportin Aliza Rupert. I will walk the runway at Club 21 and wear the worlds most unflattering dress. I hate to admit this but the fashion design students make clothes that are not so fashionable. It is actually quite embarrassing but I will give full details tomorrow, Lets just say that eating two sandwiches a day probably isn't the carbo load diet Gisele eats for weeks before her big show. Kelsey came back to the apartment after the practice and we all hung out while I straightened my hair. Pain is beauty and beauty is pain...aka i look painfully awful with straight hair, ahh I just looked in the mirror and I don' even recognize myself. The Gorilla and I spent the rest of the evening sipping Mama I's magical tea and figuring out hostels and traveling for our big trip to Dublin, Prague and Vienna. I am so tired while typing this, my eyes burn and my fingers kill. My roommates just got home from going out and it looks like one of them had a run in with ralph and upchuck, I am going to pretend I am asleep. Wait, actually I am not pretending, I am going to bed NOW.

Wednesday of the day in the monthness of April on the exact date of the 16th in the exact year of 2008.

No comments: